Nigerian National ID Card Registration is mandatory for every citizen of Nigeria who wants to be recognized as a citizen of the country.
You must have your National ID card which will permit you to undertake some official functions in the state/country.
Nigerian National ID Card is an original plastic card which must contain the National Identity Number (NIN) and passport of the bearer. It’s an official document issued by the Federal government of Nigeria to its citizen to show that they are citizens of Nigeria.
There are a lot of things to do with your national ID card in and outside the country. Without the card you cannot be granted those things. They include;
- It’s your national recognized identity as a citizen of the country
- Opening a bank savings, current or domiciliary account
- Obtaining some traveling visas into other countries
- Applying for and acquire certain jobs
- Getting your Driver’s license
- Perform certain transactions within and outside the country such as loan and others
- Contributory pension scheme
Nigerian national ID card registration follows two steps. First, you will need to fill the form from a closest registration center and then verify the registration. Afterwards, you may need to wait for three or four years for the card to be out. Now, let’s see how to enroll for Nigerian national ID card.
Nigerian National ID Card Registration Process
Before you proceed with this registration, note that it is only the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) that has the power to issue the Nigerian National Identity Card. Also, the Nigerian National ID Card Registration is free of charge, So, don’t give any body or people your money to help you register or enroll for the card as scammers are everywhere. Now, follow the steps below to enroll for your ID card.
- Visit any NIMC center that is close to you
- Request and fill the national ID card registration form.
- Enter your personal data, bio-data as required. Please enter your correct details in the form
- Submit back the form for verification
- Then, proceed to complete your passport, signature and thumbprint capture
- After that you’ll be issued your Transaction slip and NIN slip which shows complete enrollment. Keep these documents well as they will be needed during the time of collection of the card
- You are done. Wait for three to four years for your card to be processed and send to you
You can be checking when your card is ready online. See how to do that.
How to Check Your Nigerian National ID Card Status
- Visit the government official website to do that at www.touch.nimc.gov.ng
- Click on ‘Proceed’ located at the bottom of the page
- Enter your details into the spaces provided on the next page. Most especially your NIN which is on the slip that was given to you during registration
- Then, click on ‘Check Now’. The status of your card will be displayed on the screen. If the card is not yet ready, you may check again later. But if the card is ready, go back to your registration center for collection.
Good luck! Feel free to comment and share this article anytime, anywhere.